Appreciation makes an impact in the workplace, fueling camaraderie, improving morale, creating a culture of belonging, and increasing employee engagement.
Employees who feel appreciated reduce their chances of burnout by 84% according to a 2022 Global Culture Study by O.C. Tanner Institute. Even more alarming is the finding that 79% of employees are not engaged at work according to Gallup.
You can start the ripple to increase this number by taking today to show appreciation to your employees and increase connections with your teammates.
Here are five ways that you can show appreciation:
- Acknowledge: Send a text, email, or handwritten note to a candidate, client, or coworker to let them know you appreciate them.
- Collaborate: Ask if you can support teammates with a project, learn a new skill, or assist with their workload.
- Recommend: Endorse someone on LinkedIn, give positive feedback, or provide a recommendation to a coworker.
- Recognize: Give a shout-out to a teammate on an internal platform like Workhuman, a tool designed to inspire team members to recognize and celebrate each other’s successes!
- Listen: Ask your team members how you can be a better coworker and do it!
- Act: Consider your words and tone in all communications, especially as you communicate via online messaging platforms or email. Ensure your messages are clear and pick up the phone to avoid miscommunication.
The goal is to create a kinder, more positive working environment that people enjoy being a part of. According to Achievers, 63% of employees who feel recognized and heard at work are unlikely to look for a new job. Encouraging and modeling a culture of kindness and appreciation benefits everyone, increasing job satisfaction and employee retention.